Monday, July 30, 2012

The 12 Kits of Christmas: July






I can't believe that it is already the end of July.  Not only is summer more than half over, it is also time for my monthly 12 Kits of Christmas post.  If you are wondering what you have stumbled into, please click here for more information.  This month's kit was generously provided by Christina of Sea Glass and Sentiments.  Just take a look at all the goodies she sent.  One of the most fun parts about this group is getting to play with stamp sets and dies I don't have, and this month was no exception.  There were so many wonderful elements--die cuts, stamped images, and papers to play with--all in the traditional Christmas colors that I adore.

Photo courtesy of Kara


I made 4 cards with this kit:









It might be a bit of of a misrepresentation to say that I 'made' these cards, because, in reality, these cards assembled themselves.  Honestly.  Except for the focal point on this last card, which I cut and embossed using UTEE.  So, I have to thank Christina for sending me a self-assembling card kit--the holy grail of our 12 Kits of Christmas group.

As you go through this month's '12 kits' postings, you will see lots of poinsettias.  A bit of trivia for you--what do you think is the poinsettia capital of the world?  Give up?  San Diego County.  That's right.  80% of all the flowering poinsettias in the world get their start right here in San Diego.  Did you know that?

Now, for another little twist--leave it to Renee to come up with good ideas upon good ideas.  Renee has challenged us to add an extra card every month that would be a CASE of another group member's card from a previous month.  What a great way to use up the leftovers we have all been hoarding.  She even put together a pinboard, where we can easily see all the cards we have made with this group.  Check it out here--it's a great source of holiday inspiration.  I chose to case one of Suzanne's card from Marybeth's April kit.  I knew, the moment I saw this card back in April, that I wanted to try to make one myself.  I just love how Suzanne cut the Memorybox Landscape die, and fit it on to a Mat Stack #3.  I was able to use a sentiment and some paper included in this month's kit.


Suzanne's card



Case of Suzanne's card

I had such fun playing with all the goodies in Christina's kit, and now I am eager to see what everyone else has created.  Thank you so much, Christina, for sending such a wonderful kit, and for giving your ingredients such great instructions about what to do once I unpacked them.  If you are curious about anything used to make these cards, head over to Christina's blog, where she will have information on the supplies she sent.
 Here is a list of the other members of The 12 Kits of Christmas.  Please stop by their blogs and check out what they have done this month.
 Cathy of Empty Nest Crafter
Suzanne of The Card Yard
Joyce of Cards-by-the-Sea (that's me!)
Kara of KandR Designs
Jessica of The Paper Parade
Jeanne of A Kept Life
Sharron of On Papillon Wings

Thanks for Visiting

18 comments :

  1. Hi Joyce! Your cards are just so pretty and I like the tree card layered onto the gingham background....it's the perfect backdrop for this image! And your CASE? It's one that I have wanted to CASE since Suzanne posted hers. Wasn't it fun to make someone else's card this month? I thought so!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Joyce , your second card is almost like Amy’s first card. I guess great minds think alike. Love your tree card with the bit of holly, and a background to die for … so elegant! Love you glossy accents( or you said embossed) on the last one. Great take on the card you cased , nice that you added a bit of your own style. I almost copied my to the T. Beautiful1

    ReplyDelete
  3. Gorgeous cards all of them! There you are using UTEE again, I love it and the poinsettia turned out perfect.. You chose such a great card to case too.

    ReplyDelete
  4. beautiful and very pretty cards love them all

    ReplyDelete
  5. Gorgeous! Love what you've done with that poinsettia!! I'm not surprised you CASED that card too...it's such a great one!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Beautiful cards! I just love gingham and the way you layered the tree stamp on this card made me smile! Fun case card too! What a fun kit and hop this is!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Joyce they are all fabulous...
    but I love the bird on the music notes...
    ideas are flowing now! :)
    And OMGoodness...that card of Suzanne's...
    I still have the die cuts to CASE it...
    but I knew Kara was doing that one this month...
    so I shied away from it...
    THIS month!!
    Is that card that incredible...
    I think we'll all CASE it eventually! :)
    I love them all Joyce! :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Joyce, you always make me giggle when you talk about self-assembling cards! I'm glad you enjoyed the kit, but I have a feeling you could take anything and assemble it into something beautiful! I love the musical backdrop for the bird on your first card. Very merry, indeed! The window on your second card is so clever. The label looks like it was made to fit inside that frame! I love the simplicity of the card with the tree--very striking. And that glossy poinsettia looks fabulous on the Mat Stack! Your CASE of Suzanne's card is wonderful--I love the black accents. Amazing job with the kit this month, Joyce! Thanks for all of the great ideas to CASE in the future!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Fabulous assortment of cards as always, I'm quite jealous - you must have quite a stash of Christmas cards by now! I always start panicking about Christmas at the end of July - crazy right?!! lol x

    ReplyDelete
  10. Joyce, your cards are so fabulous! That poinsettia with the UTEE, a stunning card and my favorite of the bunch. I loved reading your little bit of trivia, never knew that, and what a fun thing to share. Your second card reminds me of a Christmas quilt, so beautiful and so creative. I love that sweet song bird and your are just so smart to use that sheet music as your background, just so perfect. And your CASE card is just so adorable and now I will be ready for my CASE next month.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I have to get some of that UTEE, you sure are making great use of it and your poinsettia looks so GREAT with it! I also really like the bird over the music background, but my favorite ws the one with the strips of different patterned papers and that perfectly cut label...that was a great card. Your case is one I want to try too! Great job with Christinas kit this month Joyce, as always!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hi Joyce! SO many beauties here! Love the birdie with the musical notes - makes me smile, and the stripes of paper on the second! The gingham paper gives the tree image center stage, and so clever to use the UTEE - I'm always afraid of new things! No such thing as a self assembling kit - it was all you lady!! Well done!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Beautiful cards, Joyce! I just adore how you used the bird on the music paper--so sweet! And the tree with a gingham background is perfect--love that one! Every one is just wonderful! I had never even heard of UTEE before your posts--very cool! Love that you chose that card of Suzanne's for your CASE. I had started one but didn't get it finished. That is such an awesome design! I kept thinking of all different ways it could be used. Do you think we'll all CASE eventually??

    ReplyDelete
  14. Joyce,
    What a great set of cards.
    That kit looks awesome this month with all the different papers.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Joyce, first of all I love that you and Kara decided to case the same card!!!! hehehe it made me giggle :) And I love how you talked about how you didn't have to do anything, that the cards assembled themselves....I don't believe it! You are definitely talented, my dear! So that shinyness on the poinsettia truly makes it POP! And I love how you let the tree stand for itself on the gingham card, just the right amount of extras to truly let it shine :) And the bird with the music? Love!

    ReplyDelete
  16. So much gorgeousness in one post!! Love the shine on that UTEE embossed flower. The last two are my favourites though as I love that Mat Stack die and it looks so cool with the Landscape die in it! :)

    ReplyDelete
  17. Joyce, I agree on this kit being the holy grail! It was my fave!! Your cards are so amazing. I am just in awe of you! I LOVE the design of the bird card, with the frame diecut from PP and the banner. LOVE that! And the window card is genius - so CAS but not! Elegant and classy. And you're the second person this week that I've seen use UTEE so I need to check it out. How fun is it? Love the flower with the mat stack and those papers. Beautiful!!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Fabulous cards, as always, Joyce! Those memory box dies are so cute-- I love how you used them!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...