Wednesday, July 25, 2012

Back in Black







This week's CAS-ual Fridays challenge has that old AC/DC song stuck in my mind.  What a fun challenge, though, since I never use a black card base.  I just bought some Lil' Inker dies, and thought it would be fun to play around with them, since they are the sponsors this week.

I got the small and large sun, and decided to use them as bursts of color.  Think fireworks or star bursts or some other explosion of color.

Color Burst

I took my black card front, and cut the shapes out from all over the card.  Then, I took die cuts in Summer Sunrise, Raspberry Fizz and Orange Zest and used them to plug up the holes.  So, the card is entirely flat, except for my Paper Smooches sentiment, which is popped up with dimensionals.  I thought that would be fun.  I think you can see in this side view picture. 



I had another idea to use those suns as flowers.

Flowers
On this card, I glued the center of the die cut down, and pulled the 'petals' out a bit from the card.




Stay tuned, because some day, I just may use these dies as suns, too.

Supplies Used:
Color Burst
Stamps:  Paper Smooches Sentiment Sampler
Paper:  PTI True Black, Summer Sunrise, Orange Zest, Raspberry Fizz, White
Ink:  Orange Zest
Other:  Lil Inkers Sun dies, PTI Half & Half Die

Flowers
Stamps:  Flower Fusion
Paper:  True Black, Winter Wisteria, Simply Chartreuse solid and patterns, Spring Moss
Ink: Memento Tuxedo Black
Other:  Lil Inkers Sun Dies, PTI Flower Fusion, In the Meadow, Angled Label Dies



Thanks for Visiting

15 comments :

  1. Both are very cute cards. I like the first card where everything is flat. Great idea for the flowers on your second card. I like the patterned paper on your hills. I almost bought these dies but didn't at the last minute. Now I am regretting it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love love love both of your cards. I think die cutting the sun dies out and replacing with coloured suns is brilliant. On your second card the suns as flower heads is equally brilliant!

    ReplyDelete
  3. So creative ... love how you played around with the dies!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I can't believe you know AC/DC!!!
    You ROCK, Joyce!! :)
    I'm sure we could find some tunes to share now that I know you know how to headbang!!*giggle*
    And now it's stuck in my head too...
    it could be worse...
    it could be POP!!! :)
    But fabulous cards!!
    Love those bright "blooms" against the black...
    so much fun!!
    And adorable flowers!!
    Love them!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Two awesome cards.
    Love the black card base.
    Those purple flowers really pop on the 2nd card. Love them.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Joyce, both of your cards are fabulous! I love how creative you were with those sun dies! Super job using the black card base, too! Thanks for playing along with us at CAS-ual Fridays!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh, Joyce--I love what you did with the sun die! Your 'fireworks' are such fun in all those bright colors and the sentiment is perfect. The flowers are wonderful too. Aren't those dies great!

    ReplyDelete
  8. You are not alone on having that AC/DC song stuck in your head (check entry #162--LOL)! I had to Google on that song though-haha! I love the bright colors of flowers against the black! It's absolutely perfect and eye-catching! Awesome job you did! Thanks so much for playing with us at CAS-ual Fridays!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Ah, the 80s - I guess we were all there! lol! I love the colours you chose and how they pop off the black! Great cards!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I really love this look...against the black. My favorite is the one with the suns as flowers against the rolling hills in patterned paper. They make great flowers! Very cute cards today Joyce.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I really LOVE that first card! Squidging those coloured cut outs into the holes looks brilliant!! M x

    ReplyDelete
  12. Your card was begging a visit with bright colours like that :0)
    Love how you've placed the die-cuts into the card base...such a great effect and they look cool as flowers too :0)
    Thanks for getting crafty with us at CASual Fridays :0)
    Jenny x

    ReplyDelete
  13. Love both your cards Joyce! Aren't those LID suns just the best! Thanks for joining us at CAS-ual Fridays this week :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. now that's a card with real impact....

    ReplyDelete
  15. Joyce, both of your cards are just so stunning. I am really loving the black card base...it really makes the colors you add to your card pop right off, just so fun and festive.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...