Wednesday, March 20, 2013

Pattern Play Day 2



I realize that it is already Day 3, but I am here to post the cards I made for Day 2.  I did 2 of them yesterday, and then had to complete the third this morning.

The first video of the day showed how to emboss resist on patterned paper.  I just love the way that sounds, and I am pretty happy with how my card came out.  I pretty much stuck to the layout of the first sample card by Jennifer McGuire.  I used papers from Basic Grey What's Up, a Quickuts bird die I've had forever and never used before, and a sentiment from Paper Smooches.  I used Turning a New Leaf to stamp my patterned paper, and sponged with Distress Faded Jeans ink.

Some of the pattern paper tricks I used on this card were to choose patterns from the same collection, separate two of the patterns with a miniscule strip of white, ink the edges of the patterned papers with a Copic T-4 marker, and carefully cut that little pink strip so an entire row of the pattern is centered (pretty much).




My next card is based on a video by Laura Bassen, where she stamps on patterned paper, over a mask of die cut letters.  I used papers from Fancy Pants The Good Life for this card.  One trick we learned was to hoard our striped papers, and to cut tiny strips to use on our cards.  The colors in the card can then be based on the colors in the stripes.  I stamped stripes from Background Basics Super Stripes in Harvest Gold, Aqua Mist, Real Red and Grey Flannel, which are the colors I pulled out of the striped pattern.  I stamped over a mask made with the Hello die.  I also inked all the edges with a Copic T-4 marker.




I was not totally thrilled with the way this card came out.  I don't think my stamping was all that great, and didn't want to start over because I didn't have much of that polka dotted background paper.  Something else was bothering me, and I didn't know what.

I had another idea for this same stamp set, die, patterned paper and color scheme.  It came to me this morning during spin class, and I made the card as soon as I came home.  I used a Pure Poppy die cut, layered and offset over the sentiment 'hello' stamped in Aqua Mist.  I pulled the yellow out in a very thin strip on the right side, and used about 1/2 inch of the striped pattern on the left.  The front panel is popped up on foam.  I am happier about this card, and it seems more 'me', while still putting in place many of the things taught in the class so far.


Funny thing is that today's lesson, which I watched after making this card, had a card by Debbie Hughes, showing how to use a strip of patterned paper just like this, if you have a patterned paper that may be too bold or bright to use a lot of.  So, maybe I am just a bit ahead?  Do you have a preference?




That's it for now.  I am off to try to make some cards based on today's lessons.


Thanks for Visiting

14 comments :

  1. LOVE the red hello card - looks like you are learning some cool techniques! I think I am going to try the ink resist on patterned paper.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm so glad you are taking this class - I'm learning a lot from you! I think I like the red hello better. It seems to pop out a bit more than the the masked one. Interesting that they said to hoard the striped paper. That is so true!! Great work, Joyce!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Joyce all of your cards are fantastic. I am falling behind in class, I think that is because you keep talking to me well we are in class. LOL, only jokes my friend. I love that you are using the new technqiues so effectively.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great cards, Joyce! I made a card recently using the same patterned paper and hello die -- very fun!

    ReplyDelete
  5. All the cards look great, Joyce! I love hearing about your classes and always feel like I learn new things just by having you share your 'homework'! I really like the look of the stripes over the 'hello' but I do like how the red die cut stands out better. Glad you are enjoying the class!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I Love the cards you made for your homework. The first one is what I did for the MIM card today! Same thing, emboss resists. Yours turned out beautiful! I love both of the polka dot cards, not sure what you were not happy with but they look great! I would not due well with... home work ! But looks like a great class.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Looks like a fun class, you are doing some great and fun home work!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Beautiful cards. I love the first one the most. Seems like you are learning a lot of neat rules when learning about using pattern papers. thanks for sharing your creative process.The two other cards are very pretty. Love the shadowing against the hello on the last card.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I like all these cards Joyce and I bet you get extra marks for doing more than one card!!! I think both the hello cards are good but I prefer the second one - the CAS style does seem more 'you' somehow.

    ReplyDelete
  10. You do such a great job of summarizing the lessons, especially on the first one. Do you take notes? I do! I forgot to write a note on how to cut the patterned paper though so you're in the middle of a pattern. I thought about that for one card I did, but was too stingy to cut in the middle, so I reluctantly just used the end strip and had an unbalanced pattern : ( Maybe next time! Love how it looks like two different papers on your first one. Did you consider ironing the embossing off? I was scared! I think I'll that next time, but on a practice sheet. On your Hello cards, the second one is more comfortable to me, but I do like the first too. It's just a different style.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Love both of your Hello cards! I was inspired too to use that particular set with this class. I especially love the red one...so dramatic and pretty!

    Linda

    ReplyDelete
  12. lots of gr8 tips - I like both cards!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Looking through your colorful cards and you are a big PTIfan like me. I love the Joyce-a-majig!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Looking at your colorful cards and noticed you are a PTI fan like me! Love the Joyce-a-majig. Thank you for always being kind to me :)

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...