Sunday, April 7, 2013

Case Study, Color Throwdown and Hero Arts Sketch





I have two cards for this week's CASE Study #135, where the muse is the incredibly talented JJ Bolton.  I'm sure that I am not the only one who was awestruck when she posted this card that is our inspirational card for this week.



I followed JJ's tutorial here, and unbelievably got the technique to work on the first try.  I will confess that there was a lot of breath-holding.  I was browsing through the challenge entries, and was inspired to use Harvest Berries when I saw Colleen's beautiful card.




It is almost impossible to see the word 'hello' in this photo, but you can see it better in real life.  The letters in this die cut word are pretty thin, so instead of popping them up with foam tape, I just die cut 3 more hello's and stacked them up.





After making this card, I decided to make another card using the negative piece that was left over when I cut out the 'hello'.  The rest of my sentiment is on a little flag because I needed to cover up a bit of botched stamping.  I am also going to enter this at Case Study.  Although the technique of my first card is very cool, I think I might even like this card better.













My last card for today uses this month's sketch from the Hero Arts Challenge  and the colors from this week's Color Throwdown CTD236.    I stamped all the images in Versafine Onyx Black and then colored them in using Distress Inks and a water brush.

 Edited to add:  I am linking the next this project to the The Wonder of Watercolor Challenge in the Moxie Fab World.




I am just squeaking in for the Simon Says Stamp and Show Anything Goes Challenge for all of these cards.  
 



Supplies Used (PTI):
Hello There
Stamps:  Harvest Berries, Wonderful Words Hello
Paper:  White, Berry Sorbet
Ink:  Berry Sorbet, Versafine Onyx Black, Ocean Tides
Other:  Hello Die, Double Ended Banner Die, Twine

Thinking of You
Stamps:  Hero Arts:  Flower Swirl Vine, Everyday Greetings, Antique Engravings
Paper:  White
Ink:  Versafine Onyx Black, Distress Ink:  Dusty Concord, Peeled Paint, Milled Lavender, Mustard Seed
Other  Ripe Avocado ribbon, Ranger Black and White Enamel Accents


Thanks for Visiting

22 comments :

  1. What great cards. I love the first two and I really like the one with the negative die cut.

    And the stamping on your last one is fabulous.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Joyce, these cards are spectacular!!!! Wow! You've knocked my socks off.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Joyce all three cards are brilliant! So creative. I LOVE that you stacked three hello's to get the depth, you have no idea how much time I spent playing with tiny foam pieces. The inverted card is also fabulous. You know now I am going to have to get Harvest Berries--love that set more and more. Now you Hero Arts Throwdown card is absolutely gorgeous. Wonderful colouring. Another winning weekend for you my friend.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Gorgeous Joyce! You did Miss JJ PROUD!! I really love the color and stamps you used on the first- but I think your right - the sentiment really stands out as a cut out! And the purple flowers and butterfly - gorgeous - you know I'm nuts about purple - so light and airy looking!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Well, darn, I was hoping not to buy anything new, and I have been struggling to resist the "hello" ... I think you've sent that resolution out of the window for good! Just stunning, Joyce, and so perfectly unique with that never-fails-awesome harvest berry stamp!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. That first hello card is so cool, Joyce, but I agree with you.... I like the second one even better!
    And your last card is super pretty! Fabulous work!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I can't decide which card I love more! lol! They are all stunning! Thanks so much for joining us at Simon Says Stamp and Show :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Joyce I am so glad you used your Harvest Berries...love the red and think all three are fabulous...how great to use the negative die also for a card!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Love how you popped up the die cut...but Joyce, I think you just might have a winner at CASE study with the card you made with the negative space. Really great card, just pinned it, love the way the sentiment really pops against the Harvest Berries. Great job!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Joyce, fabulous trio of cards! You are really getting me hooked on those harvest berries, each time you use them you made these amazing cards. Thank you for sharing how you made your hello card, I would have never thought to cut several and then layer, very clever. Your butterfly card is so beautiful and your colors, perfect! My fav of the bunch is the negative space card, and that bright red really makes your sentiment pop! They are all simply beautiful Joyce!

    ReplyDelete
  11. You are one smart cookie-what a great idea of stacking multiple die cuts-so much easier than foam tape and far more sturdy! Pure genius, my lady! Great die cut cards (banners are fabulous) and the flowers have such a French vibe!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Such lovely cards Joyce! Love the use of the stacked diecuts with those stamps! The lovely purple/yellow butterfly card just screams spring to me. Awesome.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Lovely cards! Beautiful stamps! Thank you for joining us at Simon Says Stamp and Show. Hugs, Sandra

    ReplyDelete
  14. The "hello" cards are amazing - I will definitely be checking out that tutorial!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Oh wow! Love both those harvest berries cards... you mastered the technique!
    I think the second is my fave too... love the red behind the sentiment :0)
    Jenny x

    ReplyDelete
  16. Beautiful cards Joyce! LOVE them all!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Simply fabulous!
    Thanks for studying with us on CASE Study this week! :)

    ReplyDelete
  18. It's fabulous!!
    And love the way you used the negative...
    2 for 1! :)
    But really lovin' that gorgeous butterfly card...
    with the background stamping that butterfly just pops off the page!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Your hello cards are gorgeous, Joyce, and whoop whoop for getting that first one perfect on the first try! :D Love those Harvest Berries leaves in red too.

    ReplyDelete
  20. love both! The first one I thought was embossed. gorgeous stamping!

    ReplyDelete
  21. Hey Joyce! Thanks for linking this up to the Wonder of Watercolor Challenge in the Moxie Fab World! I'm so glad you joined in on all the fun! :)

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...